The firm of Storr & Mortimer was formed in 1822 when the celebrated silversmith Paul Storr entered into a partnership with John Mortimer.
Storr, one of the finest English silversmiths of the period, had left Rundell, Bridge & Rundell to set up his own workshop on Harrison Street near Clerkenwell in 1819. A couple of years later he went into business with John Mortimer who was succeeding the jewellery retail business of William Gray at 13 New Bond Street, thereby gaining a shop premises on the most fashionable street in London.
Under their agreement, Storr concentrated on the manufacture of goods for Mortimer to sell in the New Bond Street shop. Storr and Mortimer were now manufacturing and retail goldsmiths, jewellers and silversmiths with an influential clientele including Royalty and aristocracy no doubt attracted by the reputation that Storr had developed during his time with Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. Storr continued to make exceptional works in silver for both his own clients and also other firms such as Garrard.
In 1826 they took on an additional partner, John Samuel Hunt, who brought a welcome investment capital of £5,000 with him. In 1838 they moved to new premises at 156 New Bond Street settling in just prior to the retirement of Paul Storr at the end of December that same year. This prompted a name change to Mortimer and Hunt which the business operated under from 1839 until 1843 when John Mortimer retired and the name changed one again, this time to Hunt & Roskell. Please see our Hunt & Roskell biography for the continuation of this firm’s history.