Rowlands & Frazer were a jewellers and silversmiths on London’s famous Regent Street. The exact origins of the firm are unclear but by 1841 Christopher Rowlands & Son are recorded at 146 Regent Street as retail watchmakers, jewellers and silversmiths.
Included in their display were a Holbeinesque ruby and diamond bracelet and a large ruby and diamond stomacher brooch of original design. Alongside this were several Renaissance revival pieces including a “gold and enamel bracelet with carbuncle and diamonds… of grotesque design” and a “gold and enamel brooch in the same style, with figures”.
The firm went through several name changes before becoming Rowlands & Frazer in 1860 after the Rowland family was joined in business by Thomas Henry Frazer. Frazer registered the firm’s marks in 1890 the same year they opened additional premises on Warwick Street, immediately behind the Regent Street shop. By the end of the century they were also dealing in diamonds and precious stones. The firm continued trading until late 1905, when it closed its doors and sold the entire stock through Christie’s auction house in February the following year.