He had been apprenticed to Edward Wood in 1728 and gained his freedom in 1735, setting up in business the following year in Gutter Lane near St. Pauls in the City of London. One of the oldest silversmithing and jewellery manufacturers in London, the business grew steadily and developed over the years.
David’s son Robert joined his father in 1763, the business moved to nearby Foster Lane and they registered a joint mark. They created fashionable silverware of the highest quality for wealthy clients and at the end of the 18th century branched into jewellery manufacturing. The business remained in the family for several generations until it was sold to Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater in 1887.