Dusausoy are best remembered for their exciting Art Deco jewels which they exhibited to great acclaim at the 1925 Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs in Paris, winning themselves a coveted Grand Prix.
According to the company’s own advertisements they were founded in 1840 although they didn’t apply for their first maker’s mark until 1889 when Paul Jules Dusausoy registered his business at 15 rue Beaurepaire. He specialised in the buying and selling of antique jewellery, precious metals and by the early 20th century was also dealing gemstones. Alongside this the firm was creating their own jewellery in the Art Nouveau style which was superseded after about 1900 by beautiful diamond and platinum Belle Époque styles. Paul’s son Justin joined the business and registered his own mark in 1912 at which time the firm moved premises to 41 Boulevard des Capucines. They advertised regularly in newspapers and magazines offering services such as the valuation, modification and improvement of antique pieces alongside the sale of their own jewels.
With the dawning of the Art Deco movement, Dusausoy really came into their own and the jewellery they created in this style was some of the most interesting of the period. Justin’s son Jean joined his father in the business and along with the designer Madelaine Chazel, they created a highly impressive collection which they presented at the Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs in 1925. The pieces were of high quality with a focus on geometric lines and unusual shapes and used beautiful gemstones. Particularly dramatic was the spiky asymmetric triangular pendant in coral, jasper and onyx set with a stunning 36ct antique cushion shaped diamond as well as the sensational ‘Stalactite’ bracelet for which they won a Grand Prix.
Jean’s sister Janine joined the family firm as a designer and throughout the 1930’s and 40’s was central to the creative drive of the business. Dusausoy exhibited widely both at home and abroad and during the war they kept the business going by focusing on their expertise in re-modelling and re-mounting clients existing jewellery and gemstones to make more up to date and fashionable pieces. They created a successful range of transformable jewellery which could be worn in multiple ways, particularly popular were their clip brooches. Their stylish designs were always at the forefront of fashion and were regularly featured in fashion editorials in magazines such as Vogue and Femina and in 1955 they stared in the French film noir – Rififi. After many successful years of creating elegant, desirable and fine quality jewellery, the firm finally closed its doors c.1970.