He sought to increase his foreign clientele and found particular success in Russia where he opened premises in St. Petersburg in 1808. Unfortunately he had to close this three years later when Tsar Alexander ceased to allow the entry of French goods into Russia in response to the politics of Napoleon.
Bréguet’s son Antoine-Louis Bréguet assumed leadership of the company in 1824 and continued the work of his father. His son Louis-Clément succeeded his father and grandfather and diversified the business to include other areas of scientific instrumentation but decided in 1870 to sell up to the head of the workshop Edward Brown. Brown was aware of the historical importance of the firm he had acquired and three generations of his family would safeguard the Bréguet name and reputation over the following century. In 1970 the Chaumet brothers bought the business and in 1999 it was taken over by the Swatch Group who remain the owners today.