Situated in the village of Le Brassus in the Vallée de Joux north of Geneva, their first premises was a simple affair built around a well to provide easy access to water. Audemars had previously made complex watch movements for various manufacturers whilst Piguet specialized in the regulation of movements so together they had the necessary expertise to create their own time pieces. They were dedicated to experimentation and technical innovation coupled with exceptional craftsmanship, qualities the family run firm still upholds today.
In 1892 they created the world’s first wristwatch with minute repeater. Thereafter they designed and made many world firsts including the ultra-complicated ‘Universelle’ watch in 1899, the first wrist watch with perpetual calendar and leap year display in 1955 and most recently the first lap timer chronograph in 2015.
Today the firm has grown from two to over 100 craftsmen but is still an independent family owned business situated in La Brassus where it began over 140 years ago with two friends who had a passion for watches.