Joseph Marchak 1854-1918
Alexander Marchak 1892-1975
Jacques Verger 1911-2000
1854 Joseph Marchak was born in Ignatora
1868 Joseph Marchak left home to take up an apprenticeship as a jeweler.
1878 Joseph Marchak married Elizabeth Fedorevna, who would significant in the development of his skill as a jeweler.
In this year he also set up his own jewellery and goldsmith’s workshop.
1889 Joseph Marchak’s first trip to Paris. He attended the ‘Universal Exhibition’ which was to be a great influence on his work.
1891 Exhibits at the Franco-Russian exhibition in Moscow
1893 Exhibits at the World’s Columbian Exhibition in Chicago, United States
1894 Gold Medal Awarded to Marchak for the ‘International Exhibition’ in Antwerp
1897 An extraordinary catalogue of Joseph Marchak’s pieces was published showing the quality and variety of his work.
1900 Marchak won a silver medal at the ‘Paris Universal and International Exhibition’.
1902 Gold Medal was awarded to Marchak at the ‘Saint Petersburg International Artistic Exhibition’.
1903 25th Anniversary of the firm’s opening. Already, the company was renowned for the importance it placed on quality in all of its work, not just the large commissions.
1905 Gran Prix awarded to Marchak for the Liege Universal and International Exhibition
1913 By this time Joseph Marchak was supplying 38 jewellery stores and up-market workshops as well as managing production for his own boutique.
He also opened a school for underprivileged children in Kiev where they were taught ironwork, steel-engraving and wood carving.
During this year, Alexander Marchak, who had just graduated from Law school in France, returned from his studies to help his father and brothers in the family business.
1917 Known as the ‘Cartier of Kiev’ Marchak was employing 150 staff, specializing in enameling and making extraordinary jewels.
1914 – 1918 First World War
1918 – Joseph Marchak dies
1919 - Joseph’s son Alexander left his home in Kiev in the wake of the Russian Revolution. He fled to Paris. Family rumors said that he carried a credit note for 50 Million gold Francs with him. His money and his contacts made it very easy for the Marchak family to establish themselves in Paris and continue with their jewellery business.
1919 Alexander opened on the Rue Cambon, Paris under the name of Joseph Marchak.
1920 Alexander Marchak opened an establishment on the Rue de la Paix, Paris, which was the heart of the Paris jewellery scene.
1922 Alexander Marchak then launched a collaboration with Robert Linzeler. Their names have become linked with some of the greatest jewels of the ‘Art Deco’ period.
Marchak and Linzeler were one team of only 30 exhibitors who were invited to the ‘Exposition des Arts Decoratifs’, where they won the ‘Grand Prix’. This was a groundbreaking achievement.
The partnership broke up shortly after the exhibition and the Vever family, relatives of Robert Linzeler, brought back the company.
Alexander Marchak sought French Citizenship.
1931 Marchak won another ‘Gran Prix’, at the ‘Colonial Exhibition’.
1937 Marchak exhibited at the ‘International Arts and Techniques in Modern Life’ fair.
1940s The firm prospered in this period, during which their pieces evolved from platinum to gold to reflect changing taste.
1939-1945 – During the Second World War the Marchak family lived in Savoy whilst the shop was looked after by a manager.
1946 Alexander Diringer, having previously worked at Cartier and Pierre Sterlé was hired as head designer of the Firm. He had been trained through Cartier’s design program. This post-war period was particularly artistically rich for Marchak.
1946 Jacques Verger was hired as a salesman. He was the son of a prominent jewellery family and exceptionally passionate. He was very well connected and experienced, having previously worked at Ostertag’s and Sterlé.
Jacques Verger became head of the company and, with his financial partner, André Delanglade, bought out Alexander Marchak’s shares.
1957 Alexander Marchak left the company.
1958 The Marchak firm started expanding, taking its jewellery overseas to the United States.
1967 Alexander Diringer decided to retire, leaving Betrand Degommier the only appointed designer. He faced a huge burden of work as the company had taken on large commissions, including several pieces for the King of Morocco.
André Delanglade sold his shares in the business to Jacques Verger.
1960’s – 80’s During this period the designs were created by the very talented Bertrand Degommier.
1988 With no children keen to take over the business, Jacques Verger sold the Paris boutique to Baum in 1988
1997 A contract of creation, manufacture and distribution was signed by the atelier Cristofol, the trademark owner, Daniel Marchak and Marchak’s chief designer, Bertrand Degommier.
2003 The firm comes back to life, still influenced and characterized by a Russian touch.